In order to clean up old accounts so the server uses less memory (part of an upcoming server migration), I'll be wiping inactive characters soon. This mostly affects ancient accounts that were never used much.
Characters which meet ALL these criteria will be wiped (all below conditions must be met):
- Has not logged in for at least six months
- Owns less than 20 objects total (either in inventory or placed in world)
- Is level 1 or 2
- Has less than 1000 gold
- Does not own a safe or box (either in inventory or placed in world)
The wiped character's inventory will be deleted; any placed objects in world will be reassigned to a pooled character.
As most serious players built more than 20 objects, this primarily only affects the accounts which were created and quickly abandoned. However, if you're worried, simply do a quick login on the server(s) you wish to keep your character data on.
Update 3/13: The inactive character wipe is now complete. Between that and some other optimizations, server is now using way less ram and can reboot much more quickly than before. Looking good for upcoming server migration.
- Fix for clipping through objects when framerate is too low
- Prevent moving into unloaded black space
- Fixed slight hitch while rotating
- Added CTRL+F4 to keep regions loaded in when normally they would be unloaded. This will kill your performance, though.
Two updates for the 9BitMMO client today in build 2055:
You can now press F6 to enable free camera mode to fly around -- great for taking screenshots/videos of your creations.
Use W,A,S,D to move normally. Q,E to go up/down. And hold shift to go fast.
Glitch Mode (experimental)
You can press F5 to enable Glitch Mode, which will every once in a while render glitch artwork correctly. This comes at the cost of a) much lower framerate, and b) making everything else render incorrectly. The long term solution is probably smaller blocks to do glitch artwork 'properly', but in the meantime you can get some nice renders using this technique:
It tends to work most frequently in the normal camera mode (no rotation mode).
Two issues fixed on 9BitMMO. First, sometimes the game would crash in certain areas due to underground objects. Second, sometimes transparent objects had a box around them. Both are now fixed.
Following up on some of the planned security improvements I discussed earlier, the backend now uses a new, more secure password hashing system (Blowfish with random salt).
In order to upgrade your account password hash, simply login normally to the website or in-game (anywhere you normally type your username & password). If you normally use Steam auto-login, you'll want to login via the website one time in order for your password hash to be upgraded to the new format.
Both 8BitMMO and 9BitMMO have been updated to support the new system.
As always, please let me know if you spot any new bugs as a result of this change.
The new =68 map is created and ready to go! Everyone can access it, regardless of level, via the telepad hidden away at the southwest of Root.
This map is more build-focused, and as such does not spawn mobs and has a totally flat terrain.
While everyone can view the map now, no one can build until their Landrush phase opens up. If you try to place before your Landrush slot opens, you'll get a countdown of exact time remaining. Here is the schedule for landrush:
- 1/6 - Ultimate Landrush ($500+ during Novemberbit)
- 1/7 - Super Landrush ($200+ during Novemberbit)
- 1/8 - Normal Landrush ($70+ during Novemberbit)
- 1/9 - Open to All
It's important to keep your 8BitMMO account safe. Lately, some 8BitMMO accounts have been targeted for theft. Please take the following steps to ensure the safety of your account:
- Be sure you have a good password set. Simple passwords can be easily guessed and thereby hacked, so it's good to change your password if it is weak.
- Be sure you have an e-mail set. If your account is compromised, it can only be saved by having an e-mail associated with it.
- Never give your password to anyone.
- Avoid modifications that contain executable code. Several instances of "trainer" programs have captured account passwords unbeknownst to their users. No "trainer" or "exploit" programs can give you free plat.
Check out El Dromedario's new Fire Dragon Temple! Visit in-game at /tele temple