You now get 50 gold each day you login!
Just a quick little screenshot showing some traps you’ll soon be able to build!
Check out GamingBetas.com to see new games in beta testing… now including a listing for 8BitMMO! 😀
Woo, we now have a blog! I’ve imported the old content from my previous posts at IndieDB so it doesn’t look so empty 😉
I’ll continue to update both locations, but IndieDB usually takes about a day until my posts are approved. The blog will auto-import from Twitter/Facebook, so this page makes a good one-stop shop for both short and long updates.
Hello! I’ve recently redone the intro tutorial in a quests-style way. Previously, you had to learn how to play by reading many signs. Now you receive quests which teach you the game’s fundamentals. The NPC dialogue is (hopefully) both fun and useful.
Give it a go at 8BitMMO, and please let me know what you think! 🙂
Hi all! I’ve just released Build 344, which has a couple big changes. There’s also been a few other updates since the last post, so here’s an overall update:
The RPG-style dialog boxes I’ve been hinting at are now live. Right now, they’re only visible when you read a sign, but in the upcoming major Quests update, they’ll play a big part in NPC dialog:
Framerate Boost: I know a lot of people have had issues with framerate. I’ve done some pretty major changes to the engine rendering subsystem, which on my laptop has actually nearly DOUBLED the framerate. Additionally, there was an issue which caused framerate to leak as you explored the world. I’ve found the source of that issue and fixed.
Easier use-key: You no longer have to look at signs & doors, and they have a larger radius — this makes using them with the E key much easier
Server migration: We’re now up and running on a new server. Performance should be about the same, possibly slightly faster.
Well, that’s it for now! Look forward to the upcoming Quests update — it should be a lot of fun. I’ve finished most of the engine code for quests, and now it’s mostly up to me making quest content. In the meanwhile, play 8BitMMO and don’t forget to tell your friends 😉
I’ve added edge shading to the latest build, 298 (click here to play). It’s not perfect yet, but it’s actually quite handy for seeing which items are on which height levels. I also made a small optimization to lighting to help render somewhat faster, although there are additional optimizations to speed this along.
Here’s a screenshot with edge shading and lighting turned on:
And here’s the same area without it:
I’ve just put the finishing touches on the first ever trailer for 8BitMMO. Please check it out below, and let me know any feedback you have on it or the game 🙂
Keep in mind the game is still very work in progress, but I’m pleased with how far it has come and hope others will enjoy it.
Alright, the S5 release is done! Here’s the big new features:
- Grief protection – now you can only pick up items that belong to you (or have no owner). You also can not build in the same tile as someone else.
- Roads – travel 2x as fast
- Signs – Press E to read. Type /signwhile next to a sign to set the message.
- Doors – Press E to open. Comes in two varieties, yellow handle doors that allow everyone entry, and red handled doors that only admit the owner.
- IRC integration – you can idle in irc.editingarchive.com #8bit and chat back and forth between players in-game
- Password reset via e-mail (only if you registered with an e-mail address)
- Right sidebar displays latest news & relevant links
- Facebook / twitter feeds set up
- New, faster world renderer
- Gold can be picked up and is now correctly added to money instead of going into inventory
- Lots of misc bug fixes & performance improvements
- Sometimes on death, you get stuck on a black screen. Just say /home to fix.
- Lighting doesn’t recalculate when the world changes
- Signs in some tiles are hard to read (for now, just place in another tile next to it)
- In-world text (text shown over players & npcs) looks like butt. 😛
- There’s an occasional server crash I haven’t tracked down yet
Please give it a go and let me know your thoughts!
8BitMMO is a MMO game that is still very early in development. Right now there’s only one weapon (stab things with your sword!), one NPC (slay lawyercats!), and a couple basic tilesets (build a fort!). But there’s enough content you can start to see what the game is like, and a number of us have already had fun playing. 🙂
How to get it: No download, it plays in your browser. Just launch 8bit.vg
- WASD – movement
- Enter – to chat
- I – Show inventory screen. Click an item in your inventory to make it your active item
- Spacebar – use active item (click sword and use spacebar to stab things)
How to play:
- Look around near the spawn point for CAT5 ports, which is where LawyerCats spawn. (This is a super-serious game. )
- Slay LawyerCats and collect the loot
- Once you have enough loot, press H to open the shop. Buy stuff to build with
- To build, use inventory to select an item to place in world, then press R to drop item — click where it goes
- Advanced building tip: hold SHIFT to set Z height
- Advanced building tip: use the Z Axis Lock in the bottom right as another way of setting Z height
That’s pretty much it for this build… hope you enjoy!